Head of Custom Research & Publishing, PitchBook Data
- Research into private equity and venture capital trends across a broader backdrop of general macroeconomic forces.
- Building a bespoke research business in collaboration with a media sales team.
- Management of a publications team of editors and designers, as well as a custom research team of analysts.
- Production of reports containing PitchBook datasets and qualitative analysis, breaking down private financial markets activity by region, U.S. state, industry, etc.
- Research of particular trends relevant to multiple sectors, such as technological advances in battery life-cycles, measurement of key biomarkers, etc.
- Close collaboration with multiple teams as well as clients to ensure report production in a timely, efficient manner, as well as constant communication with trusted resources to amplify insights into particular areas.
- Primary design tools used include HTML/CSS coding, Adobe InDesign and Illustrator.
- Analysis of PitchBook data conducted using Excel and basic SQL.
Tutor/Teacher, Kaplan Premier Tutoring
SAT/SSAT/ACT/PSAT tutoring and teaching dozens of students with the Kaplan curriculum. Academic tutoring in physics, English, history, calculus, chemistry and biology as well.
Private Tutor, Freelance
- SAT/PSAT and academic preparation with students ranging in age from six to 17, with focus on assistance with coursework. Standardized tests, English, writing, reading, mathematics, history, and the life sciences are primary areas of specialty.
Writing Consultant, Odegaard Writing and Research Center
July 2012-August 2013
Writing consultation on a variety of projects ranging from dissertations to compositions, administration, data utilization and analysis, committee content production, publicity and outreach, and archive digitization.
Marketing Consultant, Odegaard Writing and Research Center
June 2013-September 2013
- Reevaluated marketing strategies and branding, collaborated with web and graphic design to transform the OWRC website and develop an app, designed and wrote copy for fliers and brochures, and wrote music for promotional videos.
Intern, Seattle Transit Blog
Wrote articles on transit, land use, zoning issues and local and regional development. Developed further familiarity with the WordPress platform.
News Reporter, The UW Daily
September 2011-June 2013
Wrote a weekly medical column along with other news and science stories, with especial focus on startups and lab research.
Student Helper, Brewer Lab
March 2011-June 2012
General duties and maintenance included making solutions, cleaning glassware, autoclaving, safety procedures, etc.
Excellent writing, presentation and communication skills in literary, economic and journalistic fields. Adept in performing and public speaking.
Quantitative analysis of economic data to produce reports on top-level trends, employing primarily Excel, and on occasion R and EViews. Extensive calculation and optimization of regression models, based on collected data, as needed.
Administrative management including organization, development, scheduling, and presentations.
Student support across a range of subjects, particularly English, history, Spanish, chemistry, biology, etc.
Handyman construction work in building beds, barns, remodeling, painting and refurbishing rentals.
BA in biochemistry, BA in economics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 2013
- Biology 180,200,220 – introductory and cellular biology, animal and plant physiology, with lab coursework.
- Physics 121,122,123 – electromagnetism, kinetics, waves and light, with lab coursework.
- Organic Chemistry 237,238,239,241,242 – organic compounds, structure, function, types, and more. Lab courses included synthesis of various chemicals and identification of mystery compounds.
- Biochemistry 440,406 – biochemical compounds, molecular biology, protein processes and functions.
- Physical Chemistry 452,453 – physics of molecules and their processes.
- Math 124,125,126,307 – differential, integral, multivariable calculus and differential equations.
- Applied Mathematics 460,461,462 – mathematical methods of computational finance, probability and statistics.
- Economics 200,201,300,301,400,424,471,472,482 – international trade, computational finance and financial econometrics, advanced microeconomics, econometric theory and methods, international macroeconomics.
- Music Ensemble 350,351 – Chamber Singers ensemble, and University Chorale. Recorded CDs and toured abroad in 2010.
Brigadier General Billy Mitchell Award, 2008
Outstanding Noncommissioned Officer on Line Staff, Cascade Falcon XII, 2007
Outstanding NCO of the Year, Overlake Composite Squadron, 2008
National Merit Finalist, 2009
Dean’s List, Spring 2012
- Four years of classical violin, six years of classical piano, one year of voice lessons, and self-taught guitar and harmonica.
- Attended and participated in activities at the UW Newman Center.
- Arranged and performed songs with Furmata Acapella, competed in the regional finals of International Collegiate Championship of Acapella.
- Wrote, composed, and performed songs in collaboration with a band and for a solo album in progress.
- Wrote and published a novel (excerpts available below), currently working on another in conjunction with an album.
- Learning web development via Codecademy, Why’s (Poignant) Guide to Ruby, my brother Taylor Black and more.
Vanguard Portfolio Review and Analysis